Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Colorful Sketches

Hello!  It's Hump Day!

I have 2 cards today, each using this week's color challenge over at SCS:  Bermuda bay, pool party, and calypso coral.  The first one also incorporates the Friday Mashup challenge, and the second one is for The Paper Players challenge.  Catch all that?

I have used this color combo before, though it has been awhile.  I am out of bermuda bay card stock (placing an order tonight, FINALLY!) and I don't often reach for coral.  But I have this amazing designer paper stack which I bought years ago at one of the big box stores. It's from S.E.I. and it is called Black Orchid.  It was virtually unused during my years as a SU demo, but I brought it out yesterday.  The coral is a great match, and the aqua tone is somewhere between pool party and bermuda bay.  Some of the sheets also have a fabulous lime.  I rediscovered why I bought this stack in the first place, and intend to use it quite a bit now.


Any who...the Friday Mashup gave us a sketch and encouraged us to try the Delft Tile technique.  I didn't do so great on the technique, but it was fun trying.  What I learned is that you really need to make DEEP score lines.  Something I need to practice more.




The card base is calypso coral, and I have a layer of that SEI paper below the "tile" layer.  I stamped the embellishment from SU's "Elements of Style" using pool party and touched of bermuda bay.  The sponging on the tiles is all pool party.  My bird is from the same stamp set, on a large scallop circle, also sponged.  The sentiment is from "Teeny Tiny Wishes."  I used coral bakers twine, candy dots, and button for final details.  Lots of dimensionals too!


This next card features more of the SEI paper.  Seriously glad I dug through my stuff to find this beautiful paper!
 











My main image is from SU's "Friends Never Fade."  The only ink used is bermuda bay, including a border around the whisper white, made with my marker.  I added the sentiment from "Teeny Tiny Wishes."  Black brads and dimensionals give this card some...dimension.  *wink*  I really like the addition of black.


Thanks for checking out my blog again!


Inky {{{HUGS}}}
Kim

4 comments:

  1. The colors are gorgeous together, Kim! I love the sentiment you used and the black brads add a lot of pop to your card! Thank you for joining us at The Paper Players this week! XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cards! Love the colors on the second one, they're beautiful! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your color palette and the background paper really makes the focal point pop! Thanks for playing with the Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty cards, Kim! I love these colors! The pattern paper is so cheery. I love the contrast the black gives. Thanks for playing with The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete